The Philippine Postal Corporation or Korporasyong Koreo ng Pilipinas (Philpost) is a government – owned and controlled corporation responsible for providing postal services in the Philippines.
The Philpost building existed since 1926; one of the grandest buildings of its time. It is now viewed as a national historical treasure. The main entrance faces the Liwasang Bonifacio (popularly known as Plaza Lawton) in Manila, Philippines and overlooks the Pasig River. It houses the main mail sorting-distribution operations.
On April 2, 1992, Republic Act No. 7354, otherwise known as "The Postal Service Act of 1992", was enacted by the congress and approved, creating the Philippine Postal Corporation and defining its powers, functions, and responsibilities, providing for regulation on the industry and for other purposes connected therewith. This Law is significant to the corporation's historical growth making it the present-day Philpost.
Tracing back its origin, the first post office was established in 1767, in the City of Manila. It became the postal district of Spain in 1779. It was known as the leading center of postal service in 1838 and became a member of Universal Postal Union in 1877. It was re-established under the leadership of President Emilio Aguinaldo in 1898. It became the Department of Trade when the American colonial government took over. The building was severely damaged during the World War II and restored immediately with its original design in 1946. In 1987, it was named Postal Service Office under the Department of Transportation and Communication.
As the post office building survived, so has the Philpost which at present is deeply involved in providing an excellent service in the business of mail delivery. It continues to develop a keen sensitivity to the changes and competes in this wireless driven generation but still maintains to provide an accessible mail system service to the public. "SUBUKIN ANG GALING, BAGONG PHILPOST TANGKILIKIN".