Translate

English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Sponsor

Twitter

Palmer Gate, Haifa

Palmer Gate, Haifa - The Israel Philatelic Service -  www.israelpost.co.il

The city of Haifa was the first thing that most Holocaust survivors saw as they approached the coastline. The bare concrete docks of the Port of Haifa were, to them, the Holy Land for which they yearned. They were part of an extremely dramatic and historic step taken by the Jewish people - the establishment of the State of Israel. Haifa Port was the entry point into Eretz Israel. Haifa was the Jewish people's home port, both for the illegal immigrants (ma'apilim) who arrived prior to the establishment of the State and for the waves of immigrants who came after the State of Israel was established. Gate number five, which served for years as the mythological main entrance into the Port of Haifa, was later named Palmer Gate. The road leading out from the gate is also called Palmer Gate, named for Sir Frederick Palmer, a British engineer who planned and built the Port of Haifa from 1920 to its official opening in 1933. Palmer Gate Street is crossed by Port St. (Rehov HaNamal), which housed the administrative and commercial center of the port, and today is at the heart of the Port Campus - the academic center of Haifa's downtown area. The Port Campus is a challenging project, which will turn an entire section of Haifa's downtown into a complex of college campuses, dormitories and modern residential buildings, as well as supporting businesses that are typical of this type of complex.

The Port Campus is very significant for the city of Haifa. The project reshapes the character and appearance of the city's downtown, rejuvenates it and restores its past glory, and constitutes a critical phase in Haifa's development. 
Yona Yahav 
Mayor of Haifa

Description of the Stamp
and the First Day Cover
The stamp features Palmer Gate Street and the port; part of a ship at the corner; and a statue of a fish with a ship on its back, Zvika Cantor's City Fish, which was erected in 2010 on the Haifa- Boston Partnership square, located on the corner of Palmer Gate and Kdoshei Baghdad Streets in Haifa. The First Day Cover features a photograph of the illegal immigration ship Eliyahu Golomb, docked in the Port of Haifa. Photo by: Lipa Kugel, courtesy of "Bintivey Ha'apala", The Clandestine Jewish Immigration Research Center in Memory of Admiral Mordechai (Moka) Limon.

SOURCE
The Israel Philatelic Service
www.israelpost.co.il

Via Juan Franco Crespo, Spain

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

infolinks

Search

Popular Posts

 
Este sitio utiliza cookies, puedes ver nuestra la política de cookies, aquí Si continuas navegando estás aceptándola
Política de cookies +