Lighthouses IV - The Akranes lighthouse
Designer: Örn Smári Gíslason / Friðrik Örn Hjaltested (photo)
Number per sheet: 10
Printer: Joh. Enschedé Security Print
Size: 40 x 30 mm
Printing process: Offset Litho
Price ISK: 240.00
There are two lighthouses on Skipaskagi in Akranes. The older one is a concrete tower which was constructed in 1918. The more recent lighthouse was erected in 1943–1944 based on design by engineer Axel Sveinsson. It was taken into use in 1947. Gas lighting was used at first, the light being amplified by a 500 mm catadioptric lens. In 1956 the lighthouse was powered by electricity. The Swedish lantern is 3,5 m in height. The Akranes lighthouse is a conical tower, 19,2 m in height and stands on a concrete octangular base.
Via Juan Franco Crespo.